Monday, August 26, 2013

My kind of meal

I'm up writing a blog post which means, yep, you guessed it...no baby yet! Hans said it best the other day when he said "every day past our due date is like Christmas Eve. You know something really exciting is about to happen but there is nothing you can do to make the time go any faster." It's now starting to feel like the Christmas Eve that will never end! So, in the mean time we are keeping ourselves on the go so we don't have time to sit around and think about it. Well ok, truth is Saturday we sat around and did absolutely nothing but nap and watch movies. The only activity we got was getting out for our daily mile long walk to the mail box and thank god for that or we may have gone crazy. We decided from that point on we needed to stay busy doing something to preoccupy ourselves.

Since Saturday was such a lazy day, I had to continue the theme with that nights dinner. Actually, I am all for any night that I can make a healthy dinner that is quick and easy and this one is just about as good as it gets for 5 minutes of prep time.  It's so tasty that it has become one of the staples in our house so I figured I would share it all with you! I wish that I had some fancy official recipe name to give it but nope, it's just plain Sausage and Vegetables. Hans calls it the Crystal Goulash but that really doesn't sound very appetizing so we are going to just leave that one for him. 

Sausage and Vegetables

Ingredients:
Large green bell pepper
Large red bell pepper
2 medium red potatoes
Medium red or yellow onion
1 or 2 Jalapaneos
1 zucchini (sadly I did not have one in the fridge so we had to go without)
1 package smoked turkey sausage
olive oil
black pepper
garlic powder
seasoning salt (I used Johnny's)
Rice of choice or quinoa
6 basic ingredients, doesn't get easier than that!




Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Slice up all ingredients with a knife or if you really want to make quick work of it, you can use your food processor like I do. I literally takes me longer to set it up than it does to slice everything. Once finished, throw all of the vegetables into an oven safe casserole dish. Drizzle the veggies with a couple tablespoons of olive oil and season according to taste with spices. I tend to go pretty easy on the seasoning salt though due to the sodium content of the sausage and we would rather taste the "real" flavor of the vegetables than covering them up with to much extra.  Once seasoned, toss the vegetables to cover with oil and spices and then add in your slices of sausage.
A little word of wisdom is to keep the slices of your potatoes thin so they cook at the same rate as the other ingredients
Cover with foil and add to preheated oven.  
Once in oven, start to prepare your rice or quinoa
Stir vegetable/sausage mixture at 20 minutes, re-cover and cook for another 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.  If you like a little crisp to your vegetables you can now uncover and set under the broiler for 4-5 minutes.
We are loving this Tru Roots  organic sprouted rice and quinoa blend from Costco right now.  Perfect texture and taste!

Finally, top your rice with the vegetables and sausage and enjoy your perfectly balanced dinner of protein, vegetables, and whole grains. Yum!

Doesn't look half as appetizing in pictures but trust me, it tastes oh so good!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm impressed you get Hans to eat bell peppers - must be delish!

Unknown said...

I love that you're doing a blog!

Unknown said...

I love that you're doing a blog!

Rachael said...

This looks so yummy! I'm making this for dinner tonight. Well, without the sausage on my half of course. Thanks for the tip!! xoxo

P.S. Merry Christmas Eve!!