Thursday, October 24, 2013

What are these funny little seeds???



I am always up for trying the latest and greatest health food fads and although Chia seeds are nowhere near new, they are becoming more and more popular in the health conscious person's diet. When I first heard of Chia seeds I couldn't help but think of Chia Pets. Yes, I just sang Ch-Ch-Ch-Chia and don't lie, you sang it to when you read it. Come to find out, these little seeds are the same as the ever popular childhood greenery toy. These  itty bitty seeds are native to South America and have been a staple in Mayan and Aztec diets for centuries. Today, they draw the interest of many people for their health benefits and uses in cooking. It turns out the South American staple is a rich source of nutrients and antioxidants.

What are these so called health benefits you ask?

Chia seeds are packed full of Omega-3 Fatty Acids. The omega-3s in chia seeds can help reduce inflammation, enhance cognitive performance and reduce high cholesterol.  

The seeds are an excellent source of fiber, with a whopping 10 grams in only 2 tablespoons. That is one-third of the daily recommended intake of fiber per day.

They are rich in antioxidants that help protect the body from free radicals, aging and cancer. Antioxidants help prevent wrinkles too. Can I get an AMEN for that!

Two tablespoons of chia seeds contain 18 percent of the daily recommended intake for calcium, 35% for phosphorus, 24% for magnesium and about 50% for manganese. These nutrients are important to help maintain a healthy weight and keep up those energy levels.  The combination of protein, fiber and the gelling action of chia seeds when mixed with liquids help to keep you feeling full longer which means fewer calories you are snacking on each day.

Chia seeds are even gluten free. I used to be strictly gluten free however I started to slip a bit during pregnancy when I craved nothing but carbs during the first trimester. Now that Olive is here, it is time to start getting my diet back on track which means as little gluten as possible.

You may be wondering how you should incorporate these seeds into your daily diet? Well, there are several ways you can do this. To keep it simple you can sprinkle them over salads, add into smoothies and protein shakes, make chia pudding, bake into breads and muffins,  etc.... All it takes is a simple Google search and you can find hundreds of ways.

 I personally like to add them into my morning bowl of oatmeal. I don't notice much of a taste at all but I do love the little crunch that it adds to things. To make my morning breakfast even better for me I spruce it up with a 1/2 serving of chocolate protein powder, a splash of unsweetened vanilla almond milk, and banana slices.  In one quick and simple meal I have already covered a serving whole grain, protein, healthy fat, a fruit, and all the little extras that the seeds provide. Plus it keeps me full for hours!

 

Now that you have heard how I add a serving of Chia seeds into my daily diet, how do you plan on adding them into yours?







1 comment:

Rachael said...

I'm obsessed with chia seeds! I love them in smoothies, on salads, in yogurt. I'm like you, I love the little crunch!