Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Goals

Goal [gohl] 

noun 1. the result or achievement toward which effort is directed; aim; end
2.the terminal point in a race.
3.a pole, line, or other marker by which such a point is indicated.
4.an area, basket, cage, or other object or structure toward or into which players of various games attempt to throw, carry, kick, hit, or drive a ball, puck, etc., to score a point or points.
5.the act of throwing, carrying, kicking, driving, etc., a ball or puck into such an area or object.


We all have goals right?  No, I'm not talking about options 2-5 on the definition list either. A few of you may randomly have a soccer goal post set up in your back yard but that is not what I am focusing on today. I'm talking numero uno...The result or achievement towards which effort is directed; aim; end. Basically having a plan of something you want to accomplish and sticking with it until you get it done. If you are anything like me you have goals that you say you would like to accomplish and tuck them into the memory bank for safe keeping or maybe you go one step farther and actually write them down. We promise ourselves we are going to accomplish them and before we know it we have either replaced them with something else or completely forgotten them. Well guess what, this needs to come to an end ASAP!

We read over and over about the importance of setting goals for ourselves.Why is this important you might ask? I can think of three different reasons off the top of my head.

#1 Goals help us believe in ourselves. They are a way to build confidence in ourselves and fuel our ambitions.
#2 They energize us. The energy we get towards reaching our goals help us stay focused when the burdens and obstacles get in the way. Personally, I think this is the reason we tend to forget about them or once we reach those burdens we get burnt out and throw our hands up in the air and give up.
#3 They give us exactly what we want. The truth is most people who want EVERYTHING usually
await disappointment but those who seek out something specific have a greater reward.

I know I will be much happier, wiser, calm, etc.... if I make a conscious effort to start setting a goal and actually reach it. So today I decided I was going to start checking those things off my list. Not just my mental list but an actual physical list that is going to be placed somewhere I can see it daily until each and everyone of those suckers are accomplished.

I decided to go with daily, weekly, and monthly goals. Three in each category. An errand or chore that SHOULD not be put off, a errand or a chore that CAN NOT be put off any longer, and something that was going to better me mentally or spiritually. They range anywhere from simple errands like getting all my grocery shopping done for the day, to deciding on a pediatrician, to taking at least 20 minutes a day to myself to relax.   

I could bore you with sharing each and every goal I made for myself but instead I will finish the post with the one I am most looking forward to reaching. Under my monthly goal category I wrote down that I need to have at least one date night with the hubs. Not just eating dinner and falling asleep on the couch by 8pm while watching some boring movie on Netflicks but a real date with just him and I where we can really reflect over the years we have had just him and I. In as little as 3 weeks we may not have a date night for who knows how long and it will never again be just the two of us. I want us to always remember that it took just the two of us to create this beautiful life and family we have ahead of us.

Now do yourselves a favor and go write down some goals of your own and FOLLOW them to the end! I'd love to hear what some of your most important are and who knows, you may help inspire me in writing my next set of goals. 

While writing today I decided to indulge myself in a little homemade zucchini bread and some spiced chai. I know the bread is pretty much the same as munching down a slice of cake but it's OH SO GOOD! It's one of Hans' favorites so I'll bake him and the guys at his station a loaf or two every month or so. The recipe is so simple. If interested you can find it here...  http://allrecipes.com/recipe/moms-zucchini-bread/





3 comments:

Rachael said...

This post is so inspiring! I am just like you, I set goals in my mind but then I totally forget them as soon as I move onto the next thing. I actually made a little tiny goal last night, and that is to plank every night until I can hold it for 2 minutes. Right now I can barely do 15 seconds before I start shaking uncontrollably, haha that is so embarrassing. (We had a planking contest in Vegas so that is how I realized that I suck at them.) I love your date night goal!!

Crystal said...

Oh yay, I'm so glad I inspired you to set a goal! That was my whole purpose and it worked already. Well, that is if you stick to it. ;) I won't be able to do even 15 seconds once Olive is born so planking is something I will have to work on A LOT as well. Next time I see you we can have a plank off. Deal?

Rachael said...

Haha, a plank-off sounds like a great idea! My friend said at her husbands company, they just drop and do planks all the time. In their work clothes. That made me laugh.