Friday, November 15, 2013

This is why we can't have nice things

Today Hans took little OC out for a couple hours so mommy can have some much needed lazy time. She is still waking up every couple hours at night and even though Hans takes over one of the feedings in the middle of the night I have this annoying habit of not being able to sleep if I can hear her at all so I lay awake in bed waiting for her to fall back asleep. This also can be said about taking naps during the day. I swear I can hear that girl breathing in the other room. Anyhoot, the months of 5 hours of broken up sleep per night were finally starting to catch up with me so Hans said "he wanted to take her up to the mountains to do some elk scouting so I could get in a good long nap."  Um...ok!  Let me tell you, it felt AMAZING!!! 

Now that I am awake and they are still out on their adventure I have some time to mindlessly watch trashy tv while I scroll through Pinterest. On the screen I see that Hans' cousin Morgan, pinned the perfect pair of Nikes. I love that girl by the way. She is such a beautiful young lady. The perfect mix of beauty queen and tom boy. We secretly hope Olive grows up a lot like her. We see pictures on facebook where she is out hunting deer with her dad, all decked out in camo, and the next one will be her looking cute as can be in her cheer leading outfit. Of course we want our daughter to be her own person and we will love and support her no matter what. Even if she is a band nerd we will be there at every concert cheering on her tuba solo.  Ok, ok, back on subject... I instantly got all excited and clicked the link to find them.  I mean look at these beauties!


This is where my dreams come crashing down. I was hit in the face by a big ole' slap of reality and realized I will never in a million years own these shoes. Why you ask? I live on a farm. I live somewhere where there is not a stitch of pavement or sidewalk for a good 15 miles.  That means dirt and gravel surrounds me and these poor shoes would look horrible the day I took them out of the box. For example, yesterday I went for a run up the hill in our front yard and by the time I was done my shoes were soaking wet and covered in not only mud but sheep poop. Gross! This harsh reality also goes toward high heels, any shoes made of suede or any other material that water will discolor, and pretty much any shoe not doused in some sort of shoe protector. More or less that limits me to my cowboy boots, romeos, and rain boots.  I have no idea what I'm complaining about though because to be 100% honest, I can't walk in heels to save my life. I'm that girl you see walking and say to yourself  "yikes, that poor thing is really struggling walking in those shoes!"  

So, this is why I can't have nice things but ya know, I am A-ok with that. I'm a country girl at heart and will gladly take a little mud on my kicks over a concrete jungle any day. 

2 comments:

Rachael said...

This post is so cute. :) For the record, I've never noticed your inability to walk in heels. Haha you seem like a natural to me! I know a girl like Han's cousin, she hunts but she is also super girly. I think there's a good chance Olive will love hunting with Dad, but also have a love of all things fashion & beauty like her mama! Those shoes are super cute, by the way. Maybe you could just wear them around the house... you know, do some Jazzercise on TV!

Sarah Alway said...

Well you can't complain too much, because you've got more pairs of cute cowboy boots than anyone I know! :-)

Sarah @ Life As Always